Application Guide of High-level Graduate Program for International Students 2019
1. Project introduction
Central South University (CSU), as a top university directly under the Ministry of Education (MOE) of the People's Republic of China, is one of the first batch of universities admitted into “Project 211” (national endeavor aimed at strengthening about 100 institutions of higher education and key disciplinary areas), “Project 985” (national effort to build world-class universities), and “Plan 2011” (another initiative to improve universities' innovation forces). In September 2017, CSU was enlisted as one of the A-Level "Double First Rate" universities by the State Council.
According to our school’s construction plan of first-class university, apart from Mathematics, Material Science and Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Mineral Engineering and Mechanical Engineering which were proposed by the Ministry of Education, CSU decides to add Transportation Engineering, Civil Engineering, Clinical Medicine, Nursing, Control Science and Engineering, and Computer Science and Technology to the sheet of world-class disciplines. Giving full priority to non-ferrous metal and driving forward the development of corresponding disciplines and emerging inter-disciplines, CSU spares no effort to construct the world’s most complete non-ferrous metal disciplinary chain around the world, serving as the center of fundamental research and technical innovation. CSU will set up a highland of world-class rail transit technology and talents for Rail Transit, and construct world-class medical and public health disciplines, with basic research of major diseases, prevention and control strategies and accurate medical care leading the whole world. CSU will grow up into an internationally well-known research university with its own characteristic and make greater contributions to the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
2. Program Catalogue
Master’s Programs (three years)
Chinese-medium majors: Mathematics, Material Science and Engineering; Metallurgical Engineering; Mineral Engineering, Mechanical Engineering;
Chinese/English medium majors: Transportation Engineering; Civil Engineering; Clinical Medicine; Nursing; Control Science and Engineering; Computer Science and Technology;
Doctor’s Programs (four years)
Chinese-medium majors: Material Science and Engineering; Metallurgical Engineering; Mineral Engineering;
Chinese/English medium majors: Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering; Transportation Engineering; Civil Engineering; Clinical Medicine; Nursing; Control Science and Engineering; Computer Science and Technology.
1) Excellent Non-Chinese citizens, with no criminal records and in good health.
2) Applicants should have relevant academic background and GPA of the highest diploma shall be no less than 3.2 out of 4.
3) For Master’s degree, applicants should have a bachelor degree or its equivalent and should be 18 to 35 years old; for Doctor’s degree, applicants should have a master’s degree or its equivalent and should be 18 to 40 years old.
4) Language eligibility: Students who apply for Chinese-taught programs should obtain a minimum score of 220 in HSK4; Students who apply for English-taught programs, should obtain a minimum score of 6.5 in IELTS or 90 in TOEFL. Students who cannot meet the requirement of Chinese competence shall take a one-year preparatory course of the Chinese language and pass all relevant exams before embarking on their programs. Those who meet one of the following conditions are exempt from proving their linguistic competence:
a) Applicants whose first language or the official language of the country is Chinese or English.
b) Applicants who have taken a degree program whose teaching language is in Chinese or English.
5) Applicants of postgraduate programs are required to have a strong academic background and innovative research capabilities.
4. Application Time
From now on to May 31, 2019. All the hard copies of the application materials must be submitted to designated Office of CSU before May 31, 2019.
Non-medical application materials shall be sent to the International Student Office (recipient: Office 212, International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Central South University; Address: Library 212, Main Campus of Central South University, 932 Lushan South Road, Changsha City, Hunan Province; Tel: +86-0731-88877515, 88836737)
Medical programs application materials (clinical medicine, nursing, public health, biology, etc.) shall be sent to Xiangya Medical College (recipient: 708 Office; address: Office 708, Xiaoqian Building, Xiangya Medical College, No. 172 Tongzipo Road, Yuelu District, Changsha City, Hunan Province; Tel: +86-0731-82650391).
5. Application Procedures
Step 1: Online Application.
Log in CSU China International Student Service System and register online: http://application.csu.edu.cn/member/login.do. Choose Central South University Scholarship for International Students (CSU Scholarship) and fill in the application form, submit it and wait for the results (about 2 weeks).
Step 2: Pay the Application Fee and Mail Hard copies of Material
After passing the online initial review, pay the application fee of 500 RMB (90 dollar) to the designated account, upload the remittance receipt in the Application System, and prepare the following hard copies of materials IN DUPLICATE in the following order. Incomplete materials will not be accepted. (If you fail to pass the initial review or are rejected, NO NEED to pay the application fee and send the hard copies.)
a) Printed Application form downloaded on CSU China International Student Service System with applicants’ name signed on it.
b) Photocopy of the passport (Over 6 months availability)
c) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Check. Applicants should strictly be examined in accordance with the requirement of Foreigners Physical Examination Sheet. Incomplete form is regarded as invalid. The examination date shall be after January 1, 2019.
d) Photocopy of Highest graduation certificate (or notarized photocopy). If the applicant is currently a student, the pre-graduation certificate issued by school is required.
e) Transcript of the highest diploma (or notarized photocopy)
f) Non-criminal record with an official stamp. The issue date shall be after January 1, 2019.
g) Transcript of HSK4 for Chinese-taught programs and IELTS\TOEFL for English-taught programs, or other documents to prove your linguistic competence.
h) The photocopy of a remittance bill for application fee RMB 500 or USD 90 (mark the name, nationality, passport number, amount of money and application number)
i) Declaration of non-receipt of any other form of funds
j) Two letters of recommendation from professors/associate professors with detailed contacts (Issuance date shall be after January 1, 2019, only for graduates)
k) Study Plan of no less than 800 words (only for graduates)
l) Published essays or any other supporting materials (e.g. acceptance letter from CSU)
Step 3: Application Completion and Final Result Release
According to the hardcopies of material and the application situation, the students will be reviewed for final admission results, and the admission notice and visa application form will be sent according to the final admission results.
Application status will be informed in the CSU China International Student Service System. Please keep yourself informed by checking the Application System on time.
1) The documents mentioned above shall be provided in English or Chinese. Documents in any other languages should be notarized in Chinese or English.
2) If a Chinese citizen applies for admission as a foreign student after immigration, he or she must hold a valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for more than four years, and within the last four years (up to April 30 of the year of admission), he or she shall have a record of living abroad for more than two years (the actual residence for nine months in a year can be calculated as one year). The calculation is based on entry and exit stamps.
3) Application Fee:
please write your full name, nationality and application number on the bank bill. This application fee should be sent to the following account:
Account Name: Central South University
Account No:5846 5735 0276
Swift Code: BKCH CNBJ 970
Opening Bank: Central South University Branch Bank, Bank of China, Changsha, Hunan, P.R. China
4) The application fees will not be refunded and materials will not be returned regardless of admission results, and the most prospective candidates will be enrolled according to the application materials.
7. 2019 Charging Standards of Central South University
International Student Office, International Cooperation and Exchange Office of CSU
Address: Library 210, Main Campus of Central South University, 932 Lushan South Road, Changsha City, Hunan Province.
Tel: +86-0731-88877515 , 88836737(non-medical major consultation), 82650391(medical major consultation)
Websites: http://iecd.csu.edu.cn/lxzn.htm (Chinese)
Central South University
March 27, 2019