Annual Review for Chinese Government Scholarship Status
Ministry of Education of People's Republic of China
April 26, 2000
Article 1 In accordance with the relevant regulations on the management of Chinese Government Scholarship, to reinforce the management of Chinese Government Scholarship and to bring its benefits and effects into full play, the following measures are formulated specifically to carry out Annual Review of the Chinese Government Scholarship Status (hereinafter referred to as Annual Review)
Article 2 Annual Review refers to annual comprehensive assessment system for the international students studying in China under Chinese Government Scholarship Programs (hereinafter referred to as Scholarship Students). It will decide whether they are qualified to continue enjoying or to renew their scholarship.
Article 3 The Ministry of Education of China entrusts China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to take charge of the organization and implementation of Annual Review.
The higher institutions are entitled to give Annual Review to their own Scholarship Students.
Article 4 Scholarship Students who have studied in China for more than one year or have finished their scheduled study programs and wish to extend their scholarship shall go through Annual Review.
Article 5 The details of Annual Review include:
1) performances (including examination or checkup results of all courses in the first term and general performances in the second term of this academic year);
2) attitude towards study and attendance; and
3) conducts and rewards and punishments received.
Article 6 According to the teaching and student status management regulations, higher institutions shall set up the specific methods and appraisal standards for Annual Review. On basis of the above, the institution shall assess whether the students are qualified to continue enjoying or to renew the scholarship. And then put forward their results either qualified or unqualified, and proposals on whether to provide, suspend or terminate the scholarship
According to the assessments and suggestions of the institutions, CSC will make final decision on whether to continuously provide, suspend or terminate the scholarship.
Article 7 The scholarship will be suspended for one year if the students:
1) fail to go up to the next grade or degrade due to the incompetent examination results;
2) have not reached the required credits on the elective courses in two consecutive years, consecutive years; or
3) have been kept in school but placed under surveillance.
Students, whose scholarships are suspended, from the beginning of next academic year, shall not enjoy the scholarships any more. However, they can apply to continue their studies as self-financed students or apply for exemption of certain fees according to the regulations of the higher institution. Before the period of suspension is over, those involved shall apply to go through Annual Review of that year. If they pass the review and get the approval from CSC, they can renew their scholarship from the next academic year.
Article 8 The scholarship will be terminated if the students:
1) are compelled to flunk out or dismissed from the institution;
2) fail twice in Annual Review during the studies in China; or
3) refuse to take Annual Review without persuasive reasons.
Those who have their scholarship terminated shall not enjoy the scholarships from the day of proclamation or renew their scholarships any more.
Article 9 Procedures of Annual Review:
1) Scholarship students shall apply for and fill out correctly the Form for Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status (hereinafter referred to as Form), which are printed by CSC, in conformity to the time and requirements set by the higher institution and submit Form completed to the higher institution before deadline.
2) In accordance with the requirements and standards of Annual Review, the institutions, after filling the suggestions of Annual Review into the Form, shall send the report on Annual Review, the name-list of the scholarship students who have passed and the forms of those who have failed in the Annual Review to CSC before May 31st. The report shall also be sent to the Administrations for education in provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities.
3) Annual Review of those who require to be transferred to another institution (including remedial Chinese language students) shall be processed by the previous institution, which is responsible to pass the materials and results of Annual Review to the target institution.
4) CSC shall notify the institutions and the Administrations for education in provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities the final results of Annual Review before June 15th. The institutions shall inform the scholarship students the decisions made and remind the embassy of the dispatching country or dispatching organization about the students whose scholarship have been suspended or terminated after the Annual Review.
Article 10 The Measures will exert effect from the day of proclamation.